Welcome to the Diploma Programme (DP)
Welcome to our Secondary School! We are proud to watch our students grow and witness the caring and principled adults that they become during their time within the DP program here at BIS. As a small school with on average 18 students in each grade level it is easy to know almost everyone on campus, which leads to a supportive and friendly atmosphere here at BIS. One of the things that makes it such a special place is the collaborative spirit between the school and the community.
The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (DP)
is a curriculum for students aged 16 to 19
At BIS, we teach the IB curriculum throughout all grade levels. The Diploma Programme (DP) is taught the last two years of school, Grade 11 and 12. The DP is an academically challenging and balanced Programme of education with final examinations that prepares students, aged 16 to 19, for success at university and life beyond. The Programme has gained recognition and respect from the world’s leading universities. It is studied in over 140 countries around the world and promotes international-mindedness. Largely externally examined it ensures consistent standards. The DP is unique with its focus on students’ personal and interpersonal development and it’s reflection on the nature of knowledge.
The Diploma Programme prepares students for effective participation in a rapidly evolving and increasingly global society as they:
- develop physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically
- acquire breadth and depth of knowledge and understanding
- develop the skills and a positive attitude towards learning
- study at least two languages and increase understanding of cultures, including their own
- make connections across traditional academic disciplines and explore the nature of knowledge through the Theory of Knowledge course.
- undertake in-depth research into an area of interest in the Extended Essay
- enhance their personal and interpersonal development through Creativity, Activity and Service.
The programme consists of three core elements and six subject groups
Those are inherent in all students’ curriculum.
Engages students in independent research through an in-depth study of a question relating to one of the DP subjects. They then write a 4000-word university style research paper.
[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Theory of Knowledge (TOK)”]
Develops a coherent approach to learning that unifies the academic disciplines. In this course on critical thinking, students inquire into the nature of knowing and deepen their understanding of knowledge as a human construction.
[/lvca_panel][lvca_panel panel_title=”Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS)”]
Involves students in a range of activities alongside their academic studies throughout the Diploma Programme. Creativity encourages students to engage in the arts and creative thinking. Activity seeks to develop a healthy lifestyle through physical activity. Service with the community offers a vehicle for new learning with academic value. The three strands of CAS enhance students’ personal and interpersonal development through experiential learning and enable journeys of self-discovery.
Students choose 6 subjects, 3 at higher level and 3 at standard level. The subjects must cover at least 5 different subject groups.
- IB Diploma students had a significantly greater likelihood of earning a first-class honours degree than did A level students.
- IB Diploma students were significantly more likely to be engaged in further study after university.
- Feedback collected from a wide range of IB graduates suggests that IB students have an easier time adjusting to university studies.
- Former DP students in the United States are significantly more likely to attend a ‘selective’ or ‘highly selective’ institution compared to the average US college students.
- In the UK, they are more than twice as likely attend a top 20 university than the average A level student.
- College professionals in the US, the European Union (EU) and Australia are both familiar with the programme and hold it in very high esteem compared to other qualifications.
Our graduates get accepted at university all over the world. They exceed their peers in terms of coping with demanding workloads, time management and meeting high academic expectations. Students with an IB Diploma are accepted at prestigious universities around the globe. Our alumni have been accepted at the following universities:
AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND
Auckland University *
Australian Institute of Music, Sydney
Australian National University
Edith Cowan University
James Cook University
La Trobe University
Macquarie University *
Monash University *
University of Adelaide *
University of Melbourne *
University of New South Wales (UNSW) *
University of Otago
University of Queensland *
University of Sydney *
University of Western Australia
Concordia University *
McGill University *
University of British Columbia *
International Christian University
Lasalle College of Art *
National University of Singapore (NUS)
Singapore Management University (SMU)
Singapore Institute of Management (SIM)
Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne *
Glion Institute of Higher Education
Swiss Hotel Management School
Delft University of Technology
Hotel School of the Hague
University of Applied Sciences Amsterdam *
University of Applied Sciences InHolland
University of Groningen
University of Utrecht
Buckinghamshire New University
Goldsmiths University of London
Hult International Business School
Kingston University of London
Loughborough University *
Nottingham Trent University
Oxford Brookes University
Royal Holloway University of London
University of Birmingham
University of Brighton
University of East Anglia
University of East London *
University of Essex
University of Glasgow
University of Leicester
University of Leeds
University of Nottingham
University of Surrey
University of the Arts London *
University of Warwick
OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRIES
Griffith College, Dublin, Ireland
Les Roches, International School of
Hotel Management, Marbella, Spain
University of Bremen, Germany
University of Heidelberg, Germany
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Emerson College *
Fordham University *
George Washington University
Lewis & Clark College *
LIM College, New York
Loyola University, New Orleans
New York Film Academy
New York University
Oregon State University
San Diego State University
San Francisco State University
Santa Barbara City College
Santa Monica College *
University of California Berkeley
University of California Los Angeles
University of California Riverside
University of California Santa Cruz
University of Colorado (Boulder)
University of Hawaii *
University of Houston
University of La Verne
University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Montana
University of New Hampshire
University of Oregon
University of Pugent Sound
University of Texas
University of Washington *
Washtenaw Community College Michigan
Western Washington University
OTHER ASIAN COUNTRIES
Limkokwang University, Malaysia
Open University of Hong Kong
Payap University, Thailand
Stenden University, Bali, Indonesia
University of Hong Kong
* Indicates that more than one BIS graduate has attended that institution.