Secondary Student Council (StuCo)
The BIS Secondary Student Council [STUCO] is our student-run government, comprised of an experienced Executive Committee and several representatives, all of whom volunteer their time. STUCO is committed to providing a voice for student needs, while promoting a positive and inclusive atmosphere within the community. STUCO operates based on its own Constitution and policies, which is reviewed yearly and re-adopted by all participating members and approved by the school’s administration. STUCO strives to help promote student voice, create a positive atmosphere at school, support the needs of all students, embrace diversity while modeling inclusivity, and contribute to a caring community.
As stated in Article 1 of the STUCO Constitution for 2019-2020: The general aim of STUCO shall be to promote the good of all members of the school community. STUCO provides the student body with a voice and a means to carry out the overall objectives of the student body. The pursuit of this shall be understood to include the following basic areas of responsibility
(1) Promoting an atmosphere conducive to academic achievement.
(2) Encouraging high standards of personal conduct among students.
(3) Fostering better human relationships within the school community.
(4) Maintaining good relations with the outside community.
(5) Organizing activities and providing opportunities for discussion to create and maintain an atmosphere that will be socially and academically beneficial to all.
(6) Providing a voice for student needs, opinions and concerns
(7) Creating positive changes as global citizens by being involved in the local and global community in mutually beneficial ways.
(8) Promoting ethnic diversity by recognizing cultural celebrations and traditions.
Primary Action Council
The Primary Student Action Council is a dynamic organisation that uses the school’s values (attributes of the IB Learner Profile) to help individuals and groups engage responsibly within and between communities. Projects during our 30th Anniversary celebrations include…
BIS Story Project
The purpose of this initiative is to engage in a meaningful way with students from our Taman Bacaan (and the local schools they attend) by sharing our stories with them. Our stories are illustrated by secondary students, translated so that they can be read in Indonesian or English and published professionally so that they can be freely distributed. We also sell copies within our parent community and in some local bookstores as a way of developing maintaining this as a long-term sustainable project.
BIS Community Garden
The purpose of this project is to create a place where students can grow flowers, fruit and vegetables in order to share within our community (& connect with existing units of inquiry). We also provide children with an opportunity to interact with and care for a number of animals such as chickens or rabbits.
This initiative is to promote a fun, well-balanced, healthy life style. Every Friday, we encourage students to come to school dressed in Batik. During morning break, we try to prepare some healthy snacks to share i.e. carrot sticks or apple slices, and students are able to participate in different physical or creative activities. Approximately 50 students helped to develop our menu of activities.